Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Looking for Jesus

Wednesday, August 31, 2005
It is so hard to look for Jesus. Like the Magi, we’ve traveled long distances to go to different activities where we could “find” Jesus. During the first days of the World Youth Day, I complained that the trips from one point to another would always take so long—waiting for the right train would take at least half an hour then the travel time would be at least an hour. I complained that we had to walk so far and that my feet hurt. I complained that we do not get our food on time (or not even get our meals at all).

During one of the train trips, I realized that all of those things were part of it all. I had to learn to accept things and to look at the situations differently. This pilgrimage was not all about fun. This was not all about comfort. This was about the sacrifices that we had to make in order to truly see Him. It was about understanding why things happen and learning a thing or two from them. It was about “Finding God in all things!”

The simple things such as the train rides, the long walks, the people we meet, getting lost, or asking for help from other people are really very important things. The World Youth Day was not just about the structured activities that the organizers prepared for the pilgrims, but it was also about the other things that we’ve experienced beyond all those.

Now, as I look back, I can appreciate the long train rides because those long hours we spend on trains were the only hours left for ourselves. Most of the time, I got to use train rides as times when I could reflect on all the things that happened within the day. Train rides would also mean long discussions on a myriad of things with other pilgrims.

Like the Magi, I am proud to say that I’ve found Jesus in my pilgrimage during the World Youth Day. Instead of a child lying in a manger, I found Jesus in the form of a lot of things. I found Jesus in the presence of the other pilgrims. I found Jesus in the form of all the difficulties and all the good things we’ve encountered.

I found Jesus. I have come and will continue to worship Him!

0 comments: