Friday, March 28, 2008

Look what I found

Friday, March 28, 2008
Ito ang ipinasa ko kasama ng application form sa Ateneo. Bago pa pala ako mag-college alam ko na yung "more efficient service" eh. Nasa tamang course ako! Astig. Ito oh:

God has created me to do him some definite service:
He has committed some work to me, which he has not
committed to another.
I have my mission . . . I am a link in a chain, a
bond of connection between persons.
He has not created me for naught. I shall do good.
I shall do his work.
—Cardinal John Henry Newman

What is my mission?

At a tender age of three, I was in the midst of rowdy, smelly children who sought the comfort and help of Church volunteers every Saturday. I remember singing and teaching them how to sing “Beautiful, beautiful, Jesus is beautiful....” complete with the action that accompanied the song. Saturday after Saturday, I had the same routine with my duties and responsibilities growing and becoming more exciting. Giving catechetical instructions, tutoring the kids in their academic subjects, packing meals, distributing Christmas gifts and school supplies, there are a thousand and one activities I have done and still continue to do for the little angels who used to roam the streets of our parish.

In high school, I found myself packing relief goods for the Mayon Volcano victims and joining medical/dental missions to various areas in Muntinlupa and Parañaque including the New Bilibid Prisons. My heart went out for the children with Down Syndrome when I first joined an activity for them. Since then, I have continued to give them a special place in my heart.

Through the years, I have realized that there is a lot of work to do for others especially for the marginalized and less fortunate members of society. That is why when I was offered to organize the Interact Club of St. Benedict College and to head the Bene Kalinga, I willingly accepted the challenge. The offer made my heart skip differently. I couldn’t explain the feeling but I was on cloud nine and didn’t want to go down anymore. Then a thought came across my mind. What if this was my mission in life? What if my mission was to help others in any way that I could? So that was it! I found my purpose and I took the challenge as an opportunity to be of more efficient service to my brothers and sisters in Christ!

0 comments: